Weibold Academy: More concerted R&D in tire recycling and pyrolysis needed
Month by month, our Weibold Academy series touches different topics from the world of tire recycling and highlights different sides of running this business. If you have missed our previous articles, you can find links in the end of this post.
By its nature, tire recycling and pyrolysis are capital-intensive businesses which require rather big investments to lay a foundation of successful production. The industry is constantly changing. Existing markets are under threat, other markets emerge. More than ever it is important to facilitate and support R&D efforts. Associations and businesses around the world work hard to protect existing and build new markets for the industry by developing new value-added products from the main output materials of the industry – recycled rubber granulates (crumb rubber), pyrolytic fuel oil and recovered carbon black (rCB).
Many tire recycling associations already collaborate with universities and research institutions to create innovative products which guarantee much needed markets for the tire recycling and pyrolysis operators. Tyre Stewardship Australia (TSA) funds in Australia to develop rubber powder and plastic composites for injection molding, reinforced crumb rubber concrete, tests the benefits of crumb rubber asphalt over expansive clay soils, develop equine porous pavement systems, build high-performance wall system using baled end-of-life tires, etc.
To make more breakthroughs possible and fuel needed innovation, the industry around the world is recommended to intensify partnering up with independent industry experts, testing institutes and universities. The industry will directly benefit from a fast-paced technology and product development to substitute more and more virgin materials and create more and higher value markets.
Research communities and scientific journals abound with studies on recycled tire-derived materials and their use into civil engineering products. Up-to-date articles on the topics at ScienceDirect – prominent Elsevier’s publication platform for scientific researches – include:
- Effects of crumb rubber on the frost resistance of cement-soil by Fengchi Wang, Xiaowei Ping, Jinghai Zhou and Tianbei Kang
- Suitability of devulcanized crumb rubber for oil spills remediation by Vjaceslavs Lapkovskis, Viktors Mironovs and Dmitri Goljandin
- Experimental study on mechanical and waterproof performance of lightweight foamed concrete mixed with crumb rubber by Rong Wang, Peiwei Gao, Minghao Tian and Yuchen Dai
- Production and droplet combustion characteristics of waste tire pyrolysis oil by Álvaro Muelas, María Soledad Callén, Ramón Murillo and Javier Ballester
- Fractionation of tire pyrolysis oil into a light fuel fraction by steam distillation by steam distillation by Guilherme Anchieta Costa and Ronaldo Gonçalves dos Santos
- Waste tire pyrolysis using thermal solar energy: An integrated approach by Joseph Zeaiter, Fouad Azizi, Mohammad Lameh, Dia Milani, Hamza Y. Ismail and Ali Abbas
- Carbon black recovery from waste tire pyrolysis by demineralization: Production and application in rubber compounding by Juan Daniel Martínez, Natalia Cardona-Uribe, Ramón Murillo, Tomás García and José Manuel López, etc.
The need for ongoing research remains an ongoing issue in tire recycling and pyrolysis. Making concerted efforts, operators, associations, R&D Institutions, universities and researchers will achieve remarkable goals. If you run a tire recycling or pyrolysis business, consider supporting young researchers and collaborating with universities to contribute to the industry’s success. This industry is truly remarkable and full of opportunities!
To learn more about up-to-date commercial technologies in tire recycling and pyrolysis write us at email@example.com. Weibold has been helping building successful tire recycling and pyrolysis businesses since 1999. Our services include among others:
- Pre-feasibility studies
- Market studies
- Technology evaluation (due diligence)
- Grant search
- Bankable business plants
- Plant modification
- Sales support