Spanish SIGNUS helps recycle 185,000+ tons of end-of-life tires in 2019
SIGNUS has just published its Activity Report for fiscal year 2019, which is available on its website.
SIGNUS – the Spanish end-of-life tire management authority – reports that during 2019 it recycled 188,631 tons of end-of-life tires and converted them into new useful products for different applications. Of the total amount collected, about 12% were used to prepare for reuse (second-use or retreaded tires) and the remaining 88% were recycled in the different tire recycling plants in Spain into products that were destined for different applications. Among the main uses to which the material from end-of-life tires went in 2019, 39,011 tons of recycled tire rubber went for the construction of 390 soccer fields, 21,900 tons for the manufacture of 4,380 playgrounds and 2,940 tons that were used in paving 280 kilometers of roads.
During the past year and in the same line of action as previous years, SIGNUS carried out various actions related to its commitment to the Circular Economy in collaboration with private companies, universities and technology centers promoting different projects to give value to recycled materials, this being the Entity's contribution to sustainability and the circular economy in line with the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG). Among the different projects in which the Entity is working, the use of recycled rubber in insulation material in the construction sector, its use for the manufacture of automotive components or its use in infrastructure construction, in addition to its use in combination with ballast on railways to reduce maintenance work.
Also noteworthy is the recent approval of the modification of the regulation of the management of end-of-life tires, published on August 8 in the Official State Gazette, after almost 15 years of validity of the current one, which has addressed the renewal of the legislation that will allow a greater efficiency of the system and improvements in the management of end-of-life tires in Spain.
Press release by Signus.